Thursday, January 17, 2008

Tags

As I was folding the laundry the other day, I noticed I was ripping all the tags off my new dishtowels. I realized that this is standard procedure for me. Why does everything made of fabric come with a tag attached anyway? Is it illegal to sell something without a tag? I find them annoying. Tags on clothing are itchy. If a tag is sticking out the neck of my shirt in the back, inevitably someone will come tuck it back in, then pat me in a condescending way. I suppose washing instructions are helpful, but often after many washes, the words fade right off the tag and then you are left with a tiny flap of fabric that is useless except to stick out of your shirt and earn you condescending pats. The most annoying thing of all is large tags on small items. Each tiny stuffed bear hanging from the mobile on J's crib has not one, not two, but three tags flapping from its rear. The tags are bigger than the toys! I tried ripping them off, but they are sewn on tightly-much more so than those on my dishtowels which are now...tagless.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Emily,

Have you ever been to a high-brow toy store that has a whole selection of items that are almost entirely tags? Apparently many children don't have your same case of "tag phobia" and actually love the things -- take a deep breath, brace yourself, and then take a look at http://www.taggies.com/

I met one mother who was buying a doll that was absolutely covered in tags. It was or her daughter who couldn't fall asleep with her blanket until she found the tag, tucked her little thumb inside it, and rubbed it against her cheek.

So, maybe you shouldn't try to eliminate the tags -- J might begrudge your grudge later!