Joely has the flu. For some reason this has been unreasonably traumatic for his mother. I guess this is partly because this is his first experience with throwing up, and my first experience having to take care of a barfy child.
I hate throwing up. Well, no one likes it, but I have always had a particularly strong aversion. I think it is the loss of control. I feel panicky when I get an upset stomach. I do everything in my power not to vomit, even when I know that I will probably feel better for having done so.
I'm glad to say that sympathy for my child won out over revulsion. I followed him anxiously around with a bucket. I cuddled him in spite of the fear of contagion. I changed his sheets and sang him songs and gave him bland food and liquids. Of course I cared for Joel, because I love him, and there was no one else to do so. Brandon was on a business trip. It was really difficult for me, though! Sometimes I think God sends me experiences I'm sure I can absolutely NOT deal with, just to show me that I CAN handle them with his help.
3 comments:
So sorry to hear about Joel being sick. But it's amazing what you can do when you have to, isn't it? E really hates throwing up and so he'll avoid going to the toilet to do so even if he really needs to...which leads to messes on the floor. After he get recovers I'm usually left with some sort of PTSD and I flinch every time he coughs for weeks. Freaks me out.
Hope Joel feels better soon and everyone else stays healthy!
Um, so this is weird...this post just showed up in my reader today so I commented and then I saw that it was originally posted months ago!
Oh, friend, I am the same way! Andy and I made a deal before we were married that he was in charge of all puke forever more! It's mostly worked...
Post a Comment