
I was researching online to find the best way to open them, (because I'm nerdy like that-I always look for information about everything) and I learned loads of interesting facts. First, I learned that the best way to get the fruit from a pomegranate is to score the peel with a knife, then open it under water. The red parts, called arils, sink to the bottom, and the white membrane floats. I filled the sink with water, then put a colander in it, and peeled the pomegranate there. It worked out quite well.
Did you know that the word grenade came from the French word for pomegranate? Relics of this fruit have been found in Jericho and dated Early Bronze Age, which is about 3300-2000 BC. Pomegranates show up quite frequently in multiple religions and the mythology of various cultures. (I was only familiar with the Persephone story.) Eating the fruit gives many health benefits. (BTW, I didn't get ALL of that from Wikipedia. I used multiple sources, like a good little researcher.)

I think pomegranates are beautiful-a multifaceted orb made of tiny jewel-like bits that burst tartly sweet juice into my mouth. They're worth the trouble it takes to prepare them in my opinion. Too bad their season is so short.
5 comments:
I love pomegranates too. One big plus of the opening-underwater method is that the juice doesn't squirt on you and stain your clothes. N's usually a good sport about peeling them for me.
I love trying to get pomegranate juice out of things like say, white sweater dresses. I'll have to try the underwater method. Have you ever had pomegranetes in green Jello. It's kind of a festive holiday thing.
That reminds me! I have a pomegranate hanging in a bag in the garage I need to eat. I hope it's still good.
By the way, they are great in a fruit salad.
Oh, your pictures make me hungry.
You are quite good at this blogging thing. I need to take notes from you.
I love to just eat them and get that red juice all over my mouth. It looks so ferral that way, like I've just eaten an antelope or something...
I've also read that Pomegranates can destroy worms in the intestinal tract, stregthen gums, sooth ulcers of the mouth and throat. FYI
Love the photos!
Suz
Post a Comment