Monday, May 25, 2009

Virtuous Vices? Vicious Virtues?

I've noticed that there are certain character traits that most people would put on the "bad" list, and yet we don't seem to mind owning up to them. (At least, when these traits are part of our own characters. If anybody else displays them, we find it quite annoying.) I'm talking about things like being stubborn. Few would consider "You're so meek!" to be a compliment, but we admit to being stubborn with shamefaced pride. Other traits I would put in this category are independence, and perfectionism. These are things that, I think, society encourages us to develop, but when we become so good at being stubborn, or independent, or perfectionistical (Is that a word? Oh well. If it wasn't before, it is now.) we create major problems for ourselves and those who interact with us. Now that I think about it, the difficulty isn't necessarily that we have these traits, but in the degree to which we act on them. In most cases tenacious=good, but stubborn=bad. Codependent=not so good. Completely independent=not so good either, but interdependence seems like a pretty healthy middle ground. For me perfectionism is one of these vicious virtues. You wouldn't think that my desire to do certain things as perfectly as possible would be a bad thing, but sometimes it becomes a source of guilt and stress. It can even become a paralyzing factor, because if I don't think I will be able to do something perfectly, then I won't even try. I think the first step to take in conquering perfectionism is to recognize it for what it is-a vice rather than a virtue. Striving for excellence is a good thing. When this is taken to extremes and becomes perfectionism, it is not a good thing. But, how do you know when you cross the line between positive striving for excellence, and negative perfectionism? Other things to consider in taming perfectionism are how do you define perfect, and why do it that way? Am I perfect at something if I can do it as well or better than someone else? Am I perfect at something if I receive lots of praise and/or money? Hmm-this topic will require further thought.

1 comment:

Kerri said...

You have my mind reeling. I think a clear picture of our priorities can help neutralize our perfectionistic tendencies. For example. I acklowledge that my energy, time, & finances are limited. Heavenly Father knows that too. I sometimes wonder if we expect more of ourselves than he does. He knows our limits and capabilites better than we do. Why not include Him as we try to decide how dedicated we want to be to sundry projects in life. Maybe I've taken your post on a tangent, but like I said, you had my mind reeling.