Joel in January
Joel in December
What we accomplished...
crawling
standing
cruising
walking
4 haircuts
5 sizes of clothing
8 teeth
Brandon:
5 conventions
18 presentations
24 school visits
37 book signings
60 days of business travel
500,000 words written
Me:
3 professional pedicures enjoyed
17 batches of cookies made (and eaten)
37 books read
152 loads of laundry washed, dried and put away
400 hours spent breastfeeding
1095 diapers changed
Numbers are interesting, but experiences make memories. A few events from 2008 stand out in my mind. Attending the wedding of my friend Rachel was a highlight in June. My trip to the emergency room in July was something I'll never forget. I have some great memories from the reunions and family gatherings that we attended over the year. Going to the Shakespearean Festival in July was very fun. Leaving Joel with Brandon's mom for 10 days while the two of us went to Denver for WorldCon was a little traumatic at first, but also memorable. I really appreciated going to my book group each month. In 2008 Brandon made the New York Times Bestseller list. There are also myriads of experiences that happen too many times to count over the course of a year, but that make my life good-things like chatting on the phone with my sisters, sharing jokes with my husband, playing with my baby boy, having "deep philosophical discussions" with friends, getting a good workout, quiet contemplation, talking to God, and feeling that He listens.
8 comments:
It sounds like you had a interesting and great year. Best wishes for 2009!
Come now Em, did you really count?
What a great post! You'll love to look back at this years down the road.
Wend, creative estimation is almost as good as counting, right?
And a partridge in a pear tree!!!! Ok, that breastfeeding number freaked me out for this coming year. Yikes. I'm going to have to figure out how many hours I've been pumping since November...
Megan, I had to pump for two months after Joel was born. I did a lot of one-handed typing and reading and such during those hours. Once I started breastfeeding Joel, though, both my hands were busy. The kid couldn't be still even then!
What a great way to summarize the year! I can't believe the difference a year makes with a small child. Joel is so grown-up-looking now. He reminds me a lot of Samuel as a little baby/toddler (especially with the great amount of hair and haircuts needed!).
What a great post Em! Sounds like a year to be very proud of. You are an amazing girl & I love ya! - Fenna
Post a Comment